Lister Blackstone 50888 of 1959 takes a weekend rest from work at Fisons, Meare, Somerset27 October 1979
"Druid" is similarly resting from duties at Hemingbrough brick works near Selby. Motor-Rail 8644 of 1941 (left) had returned to industrial use after a period of preservation by the Crockway Light Railway Group in Dorset. MR 7494 of 1940 (right) was out of use at the same location.This Motor-Rail (left) - 9655 of 1951 - had seen its last day's work some time previously, at Henry Oakland's Escrick tile works, near York8 December 1979
Coal from Ledston Luck mine was hauled in its 2'6" gauge tubs overground to nearby Peckfield colliery, near Micklefield on the Leeds - Selby line. When these pictures were taken on 3rd March 1980, these locomotives were practically new, having been bought for the line in 1979. One is Simplex Mechanical Handling (formerly Motor-Rail) 101T018, the other is either T019 or T020. The former is still around, in the guise of "Beaudesert" on the Leighton Buzzard line
Three scenes at Fisons Swinefleet works, near Goole, where the 3'0" gauge system was used to work the moss. Left is a home-made locomotive, built 1976.Right - Ruston "Simba" has just arrived with a train of peat from the moss. RH 432661 of 1959.Left - Motor-Rail 10455 of 1955, and SMH 40SD507 of 19783rd March 1980
By way of contrast, here is the steam tram loco built for the Telford town park tramway. "Thomas" was built as a joint venture by Alan Keef and local firm Kierstead in 1979. The occasion is the naming ceremony, by the Rev. W Awdrey, no less, on 9th April 1980The tramway never really came into use (I don't think the development corporation was authorised to run tram services....), and within a year or two, the track was lifted. Thomas is regularly steamed at Horsehay, home of the Telford Steam Railway.
Lastly, U477, Ruston & Hornsby 7002/0967/6 of 1967 is seen at Candy Farm, Wroot, near Doncaster, 26 July 1981. U477 belonged to Severn Trent Water, for use on river bank and similar work.
The Liverpool Corporation filter beds at Llanforda Hall, Oswestry, used a 2'0" gauge railway to haul wagons of sand.Hunslet 6299 of 1964 is seen in action on 24 October 1980.